Monday, November 4, 2013

My Thoughts #1

The Handmaid's Tale







Now, I am just going to put this out here first: if this society's ideology ever comes to fruition, I would probably be one of the first people in line to be hanged.

With that said, let me continue on with my reaction to this intriguing novel.

I really enjoyed Atwood's style of writing. It is very different to what I am used to reading. The narrator was not insane but I felt hints of unreliability, which made sense upon learning the entire novel is actually a oral recording. The unreliability stemming from the unwillingness of Offred to talk about certain matters. This style of writing thoroughly demonstrated the shame, guilt, and regret Offred must feel.

Multiple times I wanted to chuck my copy at my wall. Usually in response to one of Serena Joy's, the Aunt's, or the Commander's ridiculously deluded comments. Seriously, they need a high dose of sense pumped intravenously into their moronic bodies.

The entire plot put a bad taste in my mouth, between the organized violation of women, the hoity toity Wives, the insufferable Commanders and there downright misogynist opinions, infidelity (I don't care if you got dealt a bad hand (that was really you're fault to begin with) and you're a man and you've got needs, no, no, no, no, you're disgusting) and destruction of sensible society as we know it.

Nick bothers me. He does nothing but be a silent rebel with his hat, rolled sleeves, and cigarettes, and then it turns out he is an Eye. Seriously Nick, you disappointed me. I liked him in the beginning and now, he bothers me. Did he save her? Did he lie and kill her? Why couldn't he and all the other able, young men revolt against the old, sterile geezers? Its not like it would be hard; the Commanders would probably all drop dead form a heart attack or mesothelioma or whatever stops senior citizens from breathing. And its not like they have anything going for them, being chauffeurs and banned from women and love.

This novel made me feel so much, and while I may hate it and detest almost every character and the very concept itself, I really enjoyed. I judge a novel based on how much it makes me feel, and usually the ones that make me feel the most anger, pain, and grief, I end up enjoying the most. The Handmaid's Tale was also a very eye-opening read; it warns of what may come from following a trend or law or idea to the very extreme.




No comments:

Post a Comment