Friday, January 24, 2014

Poetry Analysis #1

"Good Times" by Lucille Clifton
Pg. 227 # 209
Devices Used: Repetition and Irony




In "Good Times", Lucille Clifton, utilizing naive repetition and unaffected irony, makes a enlightening statement about how children view struggles. The ironic juxtaposition between the economical struggles and the speaker's remarkable happiness is made clear through the repetition of "good times, good times, good times" following a description of something that is not normally considered a good time. The child is glad that his/her family is together, that is enough. The rent can go unpaid, the electric may only have just turned back on, but it is alright because there is still family. The irony of this is uncanny, as many people would consider a "good time" a period of material prosperity, but this child is happy with bread, family, and "dancing in the kitchen/and singing in the kitchen". The final statement of the poet, "oh children think about the/good times" cements the conclusion of children viewing the world and struggles with untainted gratefulness, viewing with "good times".

I am drawn to this poem, whether it be for the child-like innocence colloquial language, or the quiet and  naive child in me that is grateful for those good times, good times, good times. Maybe, I too strive for those moments where everything may not be smooth, but it is laughter and togetherness. This poem is a reminder to me, for when my steps become unstable and I feel like I cannot find the sun, that I will always have good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment